There’s still time to dig out your wellies and winter woollies in readiness for the Tower of Refuge escorted walk on Tuesday April 1st.
Sponsored for the third successive year by Tower Insurance and in aid of the RNLI, the event is once again being organised by Douglas Development Partnership.
Town centre manager Michelle O’Malley said: ‘Finally the weather’s warming up just a little and the evenings are drawing out so what better way to mark the early signs of spring than to take part in a walk out to one of Douglas’s best known landmarks, the Tower of Refuge. A team has been out to inspect the route and the structure after all winter storms and all is secure for the event.
‘It’s fair to say the tower exerts a special fascination and inspires tremendous curiosity – the 2013 walk attracted around 3000 people. But there are very few opportunities for members of the public to “get up fairly close and personal” to it, with the exception of the Tower Insurance escorted walk, which has now become a large-scale community event raising substantial funds for the RNLI, last year about £2,500.
‘I’ve said “fairly close” because for health and safety reasons visitors to Conister Rock are not permitted to enter the tower itself. Nevertheless, to be able to walk out safely to the Tower of Refuge is a fantastic experience not to be missed.’
The walk is open to all ages, but children must be accompanied by an adult. Suitable clothing and footwear must be worn and instructions by the coastguards and stewards followed at all times. Subject to weather and tidal conditions start time will be around 6pm.
For more information check out Douglas Town Centre Management on Facebook or contact Michelle O’Malley, MOMalley@douglas.gov.im, 696304.